Tune: “Little Sunflower” by Freddie Hubbard. We did the 16-bar A, 16-bar B, 16-bar C form. Kinda hard to count! Ouch! ‘Colorado’ and “Real Book Vol 2” flavors just repeated the 16-bar segments. D minor chord: Suggested G major pentatonic.
Aids and apps discussed:
- “Audio Stretch” iOS app for transcribing music from recordings. http://www.audiostretch.com/
- Amazing Slow Downer (windows) https://www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm
- iReal B (or iReal Pro) (iOS app) – Play along Real Book. Can knock-out a specific instrument; good for removing the piano part. http://www.irealpro.com/. The problem with Aebersold recordings: Can’t remove the piano part, for example.
- Learn Jazz Standards: A big series on youtube. Yowza. https://www.youtube.com/user/Learnjazzstandards. Good list of 50 jazz standards here: https://www.learnjazzstandards.com/store/50-jazz-standards-need-know/
- Impro-Visor is a ‘band in a box’ type of Windows app. Free. https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/
- Transcribe! Windows and Mac software to aid in transcribing music from recordings. https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html